- Preheat the over to 180°C (fan), 200°C (electric) or Gas Mark 6.
- Butter you muffin tin (this will make 12 individual muffins), or line your muffin tin with muffin cases.
- Put the flour, Quaker Oats, sugar, cinnamon, allspice and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl and rub everything through your fingers, as if making breadcrumbs for scones/pastry, to ensure ingredients are evenly blended.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg and sunflower oil. Be patient; it takes a while to combine but it will work.
- Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture.
- Fold in the mixed fruit and walnuts.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin tins.
- Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes, or until they are well risen and golden.
Other combination options
200g/4oz mixed fruit, including chopped peel and soaked overnight in orange juice
85g/3oz walnuts, broken into whatever sized chunks you like
Date, chocolate and pecan
- 175g/6oz dates, chopped and stoned
- 100g/4oz dark chocolate, chopped into small chunks
- 85g/3oz pecans, roughly chopped
The quantity of mixture will just about hold of all these ingredients, but you do end up with a few more muffins, so you’ll either have to bake in two batches or have two muffin tins.